Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, February 6, 2010

What is in a Name?

Everything!!! At least according to the Russian Government. We have always known that Randy has always spelled his middle name Allen, even though on his birth certificate it is spelled Allan. 1 little letter, that is all. Well we have heard stories that if 1 little thing is wrong with how you write or spell your name, the Russian Government will throw it back to you for months, delaying the process. Well, everything Randy has is with his name spelled Allen, even his S.S. #. So we thought we will just change his name, that will be the easiest, WRONG!!! California is so slow, it will take a year, yes you read that right, a year to get his name changed. So off we go, change his S.S. card, his passport, his driver's license, our house deed, and the only thing we can't change is our marriage certificate. But they said that we can put an affidavit on the back explaining the wrong letter! This will be fun. But my birth certificates are in the mail, and Randy is taking care of his passport and our marriage certificate on Monday. BTW, California is so slow it would of taken then 4 1/2 months to mail us a copy of his birth certificate, so we paid an extra $15 just to get it off the Internet, but we do have to then send it to the California Secretary of State to get Apostilled, who knows how long that will take!!! That is all for now, have a great weekend.

Love,
Randy, Denise, and Camden

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow... wish his parents had caught that when he was younger! My sister's name was misspelled on her birth certificate and I remember my mom having to change it but that's when she was a baby. Interesting, too, that they let him get everything else with the different spelling! LOL... how times have changed. I'm glad you are being proactive about it, though. I guess I would be in BIG trouble if I were adopting, because my marriage certificate, SS card, Driver License, and passport are ALL slightly different (when I got married, I wanted to change my name a certain way, and every place had me do it differently. It's driving me nuts. I guess I need to legally change it someday). At least my passport is the way I want it and Alex's birth certificate lists me correctly also. The IRS is so confused they just use my initials... lol. GOOD LUCK! Love reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete